TO MAKE THE STRANDS OF FELT BALLS:
1. Start by deciding your color scheme and how many strands of felt balls you want.
2. Then begin making the strands. Thread the fishing string through the needle and tie. Push the needle through the center of the first felt ball and out the other side.
3. To make sure the balls stay in place, you want to repeat Step 2 to the same felt ball. Push the needle through the same spot you started. This should make a loop around one side of the felt ball.
4. Space out the next felt ball to your liking and repeat Step 2 and Step 3.
5. Repeat Step 4 until your strand is your desired length, then cut the fishing line.
TO MAKE THE TOP PIECE:
1. Cut a wooden dowel so you have two pieces of your desired length (I had my husband do this with a circular saw, but I'm sure they sell shorter dowels.) You could also find a cool piece of drift wood instead.
2. You can attach the dowels as simply as crossing the two dowels and wrapping them several times with fishing line, rope or leather lacing. (I had my husband drill a screw through the two, but he said it wasn't easy...)
1. The easiest way to attach the strands to the wooden dowel is by simply tying the fishing line to the dowel. You could also drill tiny little eyelet screws to dowel and then tie your strands to the screws.
1. Drill a tiny little hole in the ceiling and put another eyelet screw or larger hook (I found that a white hook camouflaged really well with the white ceiling).
2. Tie a piece of fishing line to the top of the mobile. Tie the other end to the hook.
It's that easy! If you are worried about a DIY fail/not a cheapskate like me, there are plenty of options to buy: