Need a quick snow day activity for when its too cold to go outside to play? Bring the snow inside and try this quick and easy snow painting activity.
Fill up a bin or a pan with snow, grab the watercolors and let your little ones do some snow painting. To extend the fun add some cookie cutters to create fun shapes to paint. Kids can use them like a stencil or pack the snow inside the cookie cutter to make 3-D snow shapes to paint. This simple snow painting activity is the perfect mix of sensory play and art for the winter.
See our video below to see snow painting in action!
MATERIALS FOR SNOW PAINTING
- watercolor paints
- paint brush
- small dish of water
- Cookie cutters, stencils or shape molds
WAYS TO PLAY WITH SNOW PAINTING
- Experiment with color-mixing
- Cut out shapes with the snow
- Build shapes in the snow with the cookie cutters or molds
- Decorate with patterns and designs
- Try a spray bottle of watercolor
- Live somewhere without snow? Make your own snow with ice cubes in the blender!
- Bundle up and take your paints and cookie cutters/molds outside for some snow painting en plein air
Looking for more winter and snow activities for preschoolers? Check out our WINTER HOLIDAY ACTIVITY PACKET , our list of 10 SNOW-THEMED ACTIVITIES , the 16 best SNOW SENSORY BIN FILLERS. For some literary connections check out our list of 10 WINTER PICTURE BOOKS FOR KIDS.
DID YOU TRY IT?
Let us know what your little one thought of this snow painting activty in the comment section or show us your play by sharing your photos on Facebook or instagram and tagging @ureadyteddy or #ureadyteddy
We'll share our favorites in our stories!